30.3.12

Friday Evening - 3/30/12 - Men's Poker Night!

Friday Evening - 3/30/12

I'm at the event.  I'm all dressed.  Some of the Women came dressed casual and are going to change here, after setup's done.  I didn't think about doing that!  Oh well, this way I got to take my time getting ready, and got to make an entrance.  Eileen says I look great!

Eileen told me at last year's event one (or more) of the men got drunk and said something inappropriate to one of the women.  When I told her about the cocktail dress she told me that, just in case.  I plan to take it all as boys playing.  They'll be at poker tables most of the night too.  If you don't like someone you can avoid them.

Erin tells me that someone was touched inappropriately last year, which is why she's wearing pants this year.  All the cocktail staff are wearing pants too.  I hope I made the right decision wearing the dress!

The event's starting.  It's at a place called Erocar.  They have some gorgeous cars here!  I hope I get a chance to check them out later!  It's a men's poker night, that's benefiting the school their children go to.  I'm working the desk, helping register people and giving them their table assignments.  One of the men is wearing a black leather jacket and blue jeans.  He doesn't look out of place or anything, just different.  No one else here is wearing a leather jacket or jeans.  For the most part everyone's business casual, with some being more casual than others.  Leather jacket Guy comes back a few times, asking to switch tables.  I don't know if he's looking to sit with friends, or good poker players (or bad poker players) or certain dealers.  It'd be interesting to know what he's looking for.  The table he wants is already full.  He has to settle for a different table.

After most of the people are registered, several of us get up to sell chips.  I pick a spot on the other side of the room.  When someone wants chips, they're supposed to raise their bid number into the air.  Then they tell us how much they want to buy and sign a paper, committing to paying for the chips.  It's really easy.  No money exchanges hands.  The guys have a fun night, and the school gets the funds it needs.

Leather jacket guy is sitting near where I'm standing.  He hasn't called for chips, but he has called for drinks and is flirting with the waitresses when they come over.

Oh!  He just bought chips for the whole room!  That's a good donation for their school!  Eileen #2 is handling it.  I'm helping pass out the chips.

Eileen #2's worried about Leather Jacket Guy buying the round of chips.  He's been drinking.  She's worried he won't remember doing it, or may not want to honor it.  One of his friends takes her aside and tells her that he's the founder of an internet company and has the money, and that even if he doesn't remember spending it, he'll honor the pledges.

Back at my spot now.  Leather Jacket guy signals me over.  He asks me if I'd have a drink with him.  I tell him I'm working and can't drink alcohol while I'm working, but if he want's I'll have a cranberry juice with him.  He then points to a guy on the other side of the table and tells me to bring him two shots of cranberry juice.  I laugh at him, give him a little hug and tell him that guy isn't even looking at us and doesn't want cranberry juice.  He insists.  I refuse.  I tell him I'll bring him a shot of cranberry juice if he wants.  He goes back to playing poker and I go back to my spot.

It's later in the evening, one of the guys at Leather Jacket's table has said that Leather jacket is going to buy chips for the whole room again.  They announced it to everyone.  I'm not sure he wants to, maybe this other guy just said that.  I can't get him to give me a clear yes.  I go ahead and fill out the line and ask him to sign it.  He says he'll sign *if* I tongue kiss "that guy" and points to someone at the other side of the table (no, not the same one he wanted to give cranberry juice shots to.)  I tell him that guy doesn't know me and certainly doesn't want to tongue kiss me and ask him to sign the paper.  He does and I go back to my post waiting for others to buy chips.

They're nearing the end of the finishing rounds now.  They've shut the players off from buying more chips so we have a  break.  Eileen #2 and I go off to look at the cars.  I like several of them, but am most in love with an Aston Martin Convertible.  Eileen #2 is in love with a 1966 Packard with red leather interior.                    I go back, get my camera and have her take my photo with some of the cars.  Here's me with the Aston Martin.  Don't we look good together?




I'm watching the final tables play.  A cocktail waitress comes to serve Leather Jacket.  He goes to give her a tip.  The money falls on the floor.  He doesn't bother picking it up.  She picks it up.  I can't see how much it is, but there were definitely some 20s in there.  I find it interesting that I've never worked at a job where I got tips.  Even now, selling poker chips, if I was doing this at anything other than a charity event there would be the possibility of tips.  It's been a fun evening though.  I'm not complaining.

They're shutting down the tables.  The final players are moving over to the last table.  The other men will play blackjack and roulette.  Leather Jacket and I happen to both be in the hall type area between the main tables and the final table.  He grabs the mic, announces "now we're all going to strip starting with you" and points to me.  One of his buddies grabs the mic from him.  I walk up to him and ask if he's going to strip for me.  He undoes his belt buckle, then looks at me and tells me it's my turn.  I tell him I'm working and I'd get fired if I stripped.  Then I turn and go back to our table area.  I'm laughing now.  I should have known better than to ask someone who's been drinking if he was going to strip!  How funny!

I'm getting ready to leave, putting on my coat, Leather Jacket Guy's playing an unofficial game of poker with some others.  He sees me and signals me over.  Erin follows me.  I think she's ready to protect me, if I need it.  He asks me where I'm going.  I tell him it's late and I'm going home.  He asks me if I have any children.  I tell him I have two daughters, who are both grown.  He tells me that my Daughter has a good looking Mom and that he wants to give me a tip.  He makes a point of giving me all the cash he has in his wallet.  He's making a special point of pulling out the last crumpled dollar bill and handing it all to me.  I thank him.  He goes back to playing.  I put the bills in my pocket and go straight to Eileen and ask if it's OK to take tips.  She says "yes."  I think this is the first time in my life I've gotten a tip!  How cool!  I tell myself I'm not going to see how much money I was given until I get home.  I want to, but I'm tired and it's late and it makes sense to go home first.

As we walk out, Erin tells me that Leather Jacket Guy was right about one thing.  She said I looked like a princess all evening and that I should dress up more often.  I tell her I love dressing up, I wish there were more times when I could.

At home, I pull the cash out of my pocket and count it.  It's $123!!  Two more dollars and it would have doubled my income for the night!  I'm flying!  This is so great!!  I like tips!!  The money may not have meant anything to him, but it means a lot to me!  I'm so grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment