19.3.12

Doing Errands - 3/19/12

Monday - 3/19/12

It's hard to get a lot of sleep on Sunday nights, especially when I teach class.  I get home and I'm wired, not ready to sleep.  I watch TV for a bit, maybe have something to eat and then finally around midnight or so I'm tired enough to fall asleep.  Then, the alarm goes off at 3:15 in the morning.

This morning it's especially difficult.  Mondays I have reports due.  I try to do them on Sundays.  I was so focused yesterday on studying that I didn't do the reports.  I have to do them and send them off before I leave.  It's getting later and later and I'm still not done!

I'm finally off to the bus, but it's late.  I'm not sure I'll make it.  I always thought by this point in the process I'd be better at catching the bus.  It's depressing that I'm not.

I've been sitting here for awhile.  I must have missed the bus.  I'm glad the 2nd bus can also get me there in time.  Though, I'd prefer to be early.

I'm on the way between the number 43 bus and the Yoga Center.  There's a lady with her bike waiting to cross Newport Blvd..  I go wait with her.  She laughs at me riding the scooter.  She says I ought to be on "America's Funniest Videos."  She meant it kindly so I don't say anything.  I think it's weird though.  I know it is a different thing, seeing someone who isn't a teenager riding a scooter, but I don't think it's something that would be funny if you watched a video of it.

After Yoga, I go see Dr. Brad, my chiropractor, then on to Avalon.  I want to drop my backpack off there.

I have several places I need to go and on Mondays I have some extra time.  I've decided to go ahead and try running errands without a vehicle.  I drop my backpack off at Avalon and head out the door, then I remember that I have a new hat!  I unlock the door, go back in and pull my hat out.  This will be a good test for it!  The first stop will be the post office!  It's less than a mile from Avalon.  I had a package I sent out to an eBay buyer returned, and I need to find out why!

I'm wearing my new shoes.  I've worn them for at least a week and I've been fine with them.  Today, though, my legs and feet are hurting.  I think I'll be OK to run errands.

I love that my new hat has an adjustable cord to make it tighter.  It was feeling like it might blow off while I was crossing the overpass.  I stopped and tightened it.  It's doing fine now!

At the post office, it turns out the buyer is in jail and the package was refused by the jailers (there's apparently a limit to how many comics he can get.)  That's funny!  I was so upset at the postal service and it wasn't them at all!

Next stop is Home Depot!  I've needed some light bulbs for my floor lamps, and it's just down the street.

After Home Depot is the bank, to deposit a check.  I bank at Chase.  There's a chase bank in the same shopping center with Home Depot.

Next, I need to go to the library.  I have videos to return.  There's a bus stop for the 55 right near here, on Harbor Blvd..  It's where I make the connection for the 55 in the mornings.  The bus will take me to 17th and Irvine, which is only a few blocks away from the library.  I cross the street and join the people waiting at the bus stop.  It's a while before the 55 comes.  When it does come, I realize that it comes down Wilson first, before it turns onto Harbor!  I could have caught it on Wilson and saved myself having to cross Harbor!  Oh well!  At least this worked!

Now that I'm done at the library I'm going to use the scooter to go back to Newport Blvd and see if I can catch either the 71 or the 173 from there.  It's probably about a mile to Newport Blvd..  My feet are hurting more and more as the day goes on.  I hadn't expected that.  At least it's a beautifully sunny day and I'll be traveling through a pretty residential area!

The timing is wrong.  I can't catch either bus and make it to Avalon on time.  I'll just have to use the scooter to get there...  another mile of scootering with sore legs.  I wonder how many miles I've done today?  I'm proud of myself for doing all this!

It's finally time to go home.  I've had my shoes off the whole time I've been here at Avalon.  I bundle up for the cold that's already starting to creep up, put on my shoes and backpack and head off.  The time without my shoes didn't help.  My legs are really hurting.  I'm moving slower because of it.  I hope I make it to the bus in time!

I did!  I caught the bus!  Hopefully, the rest is easy.  I'm so tired.  I just want to go home, take off my shoes and go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment