7.3.12

Taking A New Route. - 3/7/12

Wednesday - 3/7/12

I'm returning the truck to Charles today, then going by bus to Avalon.  I'm glad I have an alternative plan for Sunday and won't be borrowing the truck.  It bothers me that I'm borrowing it so often, even though he's encouraging it.

The plan (in my brain) for today, is for me to go over to his place and spend some time visiting before I have to leave for Avalon.   I've been busy this morning though.  It will be hard to tear myself away from here.

I need to download a talk to my iPhone so I can use it for studying.  I don't often plug my phone into the computer.  Maybe that's why it's telling me that there is a software update.  At first I tell it not to do the update.  However, now, it's asked again.  I decide to go ahead and do it.  After all, I have a little extra time.  One of the last things it flashed, before it got busy was that the update might take an hour!  There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel it.  I decide to go with it.  I've been enjoying getting things done.  So, I'll continue working for the next hour and get to Charles' on time for getting to Avalon.  No socializing.  It'll work out.

It's close to time when I need to leave.  It's obvious the update isn't going to finish in time and I'm still enjoying working on things.  I call Charles to see if he can drive me to work.  I don't normally ask for things like that, but I figure with the phone still syncing this is an exception.  If he can do it, I could keep working here a couple more hours, and give the phone update time to finish too!  He forgot I was coming today.  I can drop off the truck, but he's not feeling well.  No ride today!  I won't go without my phone.  The plan now is to be ready, whenever the update finishes, take off right away and accept that I'll probably be a little late to work.

I'm starting to get the routine parts down. I haven't looked up what buses to take from Charles' place to Avalon.  I know I need to go to the closest bus stop and catch the Long Beach 91, 92, 93, or 94 and go to the bus transfer station at the VA hospital.  After that, I can use my phone to figure out what bus to take.  The important thing is to get to that point.

Now I'm at the VA hospital, trying to figure out what bus to take.  I'm having trouble using google maps!  I've got two versions of it on my phone.  The one I like has gone blank and I can't figure out how to get it to do anything!  The other version is working, but it doesn't give me options.  I'm standing here trying to force it to give me the route I know I want.  The other google maps had told me I could take a different route using bus 1.  Unfortunately, I got the blank screen before I noted the transfer times and buses!

The OCTA buses that come here use the VA center as the end of the line.  They arrive and park for awhile while the driver goes off for a break.  I forgot that and went running to the bus when it first pulled up (I hadn't been sure where it would stop.)  Now, I'm standing here waiting.  There are a few of us here, standing outside the empty bus.  I've still got my face in the phone, trying to get the route from google.  An adorable brown squirrel climbs down the telephone pole right next to me.  I'm thinking how brazen he is when he climbs the rest of the way down and crosses the space, standing in front of my foot.  I say something, wishing I had food for him.  The gentleman standing a ways away threw him a bit of peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  He's sitting on the sidewalk enjoying that.  Another passenger walks up, which causes him to grab his sandwich, climb back up the telephone pole and sit on top of the wall to finish.  Evidently one sandwich wasn't enough.  He climbs back down the pole, and receives some bread for his efforts.  I didn't manage to get a picture of him on the pole, right next to me, but here he is on the wall, enjoying his sandwich.



There are only two ways to get to Avalon from here.  I took the other way last time.  This time I'm taking the OCTA 1.  I'm excited about that.  I'm not only learning a different route, but that is the route the driver the other day told me to take sometime.  I'll only get to see part of it, but it should be nice!  It goes down highway 1.   There might be some good ocean views!

Wow!  This route not only has ocean views, but stops at a couple of the beaches.  We are stopped here at Sunset beach.  I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I want to stay on the bus.  A part of me really wants to get off and enjoy the beach.  I'll have to plan for that sometime in the future.  It's still a bit cold out though.  Better to wait for a warmer day!



No comments:

Post a Comment