8.3.12

Nonviolent Communication - 3/8/12


Thursday - 3/8/12

My granddaughter woke me up this morning by hitting me on the arm.  It was cute.  I had woken up earlier and was dozing.  I'm sure she's mimicking her Mom who gently rubs her arm when she wakes her up.  Cute to see her try it and to notice the difference.

Having their car for the day makes some things easier.  After we drop Christina off at school Logan and I go to my bank to deposit my paycheck and to the Avalon bank to make a deposit there.  I like the flexibility of being able to do that.

It's afternoon.  We're having a playdate with Claire and her kids.  I really like Claire.  Christina and her daughter Ella are best friends (as much as you can be at 4.)  Logan and her son Leham play together too.  So, it's a good match.

The only audio I seem to be listening to lately is the book "Speaking Peace" by Marshall Rosenberg.  It has me excited!  I keep listening to it over and over.  I really want to understand what he's saying and how to put it into practice.  I start telling Claire about it.  She pops up, goes out, and comes back with his book titled "Nonviolent Communications."  Wow!  It turns out the parenting class she's taking is teaching this as part of their curriculum.  She says there's a big group involved with that in LA.  I'm excited!  I wasn't sure I could grock the whole thing and the changes I need to make by listening to it from just this book.  I've been looking for other things of his to further my understanding.  I was very surprised to find that two of the library systems I use (Newport Beach Library and the Orange Public Library) have nothing at all by Marshall Rosenberg.  This seems like it could change the world and it isn't even represented!  Claire and I aren't getting to talk much.  The kids are having fun together, but still need help sometimes and of course need watchful eyes.  Anyway, it's wonderful being able to talk to someone about this.  I've tried talking to a few other people.  I'm not to the point where I can truly describe it, and I'm excited by it, where they aren't.  It's really nice to be able to share the excitement with someone!

We're home now.  Both kids were asleep before we made it to the first stop light.  I'm taking a few minutes to research the bus routes that could take me home.  There are three routes I can use.  Two of them leave from the same place.  The third is the one with bus 42.  I decide to just avoid that route.  I'm not worried about leaving times or anything.  I just need to know where to catch the bus.  Since both of the other routes leave from the same stop, when I'm ready to leave I'll go to the stop and get on whichever bus comes first!

The trip home is easy.  I've been to all the bus stops already, which makes it easier.  I know where everything is, and where to catch each bus.  I'm at the last transfer point. The next bus is the 62. A nice, cleancut young man (wow, I sound old when I say that) turns to me and tells me the bus will be here soon.  It turns out that he lives in Norwalk (even uses my same bus stop) and goes to UC Fullerton.  He tells me that UC Fullerton recently made a rule outlawing the use of all wheeled transport (bikes, scooters, skateboards, and skates.)  So, my scooter would be disallowed.  How sad. I'm sure it would help several students If they could use something like the scooter to cut down on time between classes.  I'm certainly loving using it!

No comments:

Post a Comment