2.3.12

Friday Night On The Bus - 3/2/12

Friday - 3/2/12

It's Friday night.  I seem to have the routine down.  I was definitely to the bus stop on time!  The bus wasn't though.  It's taking forever.  Two other buses stop while most of the crowd at the bus stop stands and waits.  The bus I'm waiting for, the 43 is the most popular.

There is a lovely petite hispanic woman, in her late 20s, standing with her son, holding bags of groceries. We're talking about buses and how frustrating it is to be on the opposite corner of the street waiting for the light to change when the bus comes. There isn't anything you can do at that point except wave goodbye to the bus and wait for the next one.

We see a bus go by, with "not in service" on it's readout.  Some of the people here say that's why our bus is late.  I don't know why buses go out of service.  I'll have to figure that out.  I do know that some days I'll see up to five not in service buses and other days I won't see any.  So it seems like something that's been scheduled, though that may not be true.

The bus finally comes. It's 15 minutes late.  By the time we get to my transfer stop, at Disneyland, we're 20 minutes late.  I've missed my bus.  There isn't anything to do but put my backpack and scooter down and wait for the next bus.

Even though I'm sitting right here, I almost missed the bus!  The 460 always comes down from LA, drops people off, then goes off and parks for a 5 to 10 minute break.   After that, it comes back and picks up people for LA. The bus came and dropped people off.  When the normal line formed outside it's door I laughed at them and stayed sitting.  I knew it wouldn't take on passengers until after it's break time.  I wasn't even paying attention and then I happened to notice that it's readout had changed to LA!  Which means it wasn't taking a break!   I grab my stuff, head for the bus and get in line at the very back of the line.  I'm so grateful that I noticed the readout change!  I could have been waiting here for another hour!

The traffic is bad.  The bus is definitely running late.  I have the thought that I'm often doing other things on a Friday night.  This may be the normal traffic pattern for Fridays.  I can't remember if I've ridden a bus home on Friday before or not.  I know I'd remember if I'd been in this kind of traffic / backup on the bus before.  Finally, we come up on an area where there's a police blockade.  That must be the problem.  Now that we've worked our way past it, the traffic is better.  It still isn't good, but definitely better!

I'm so grateful to finally be home!  I don't want to leave ever again!  Well, ok. I know tomorrow I'll feel differently, but for now, that's how I feel.  I'm going to grab some food, watch a tiny bit of tv, and then go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment