24.3.12

Saturday - 3/24/12 - Work Is On Again!

Saturday - 3/24/12

I've decided it's OK today's work was canceled.  It's nice laying here in bed, knowing I have a free day.  I've been wanting to spend time at home.  I get that now!  I'm thinking of all the things I could do.  I could take the truck and pick up garden supplies, or work on my talk for tomorrow, or post things on eBay.  Heck, I could even have some down time!  Mary's coming up tonight too.

I just checked email.  Eileen emailed me!  A different client has decided to add people at the last minute.  She emailed last night to ask if I could work today!   Apparently she tried calling too, but I turned my ringer off when I went to DDs and didn't check the phone after that!   I email her back to say I'm available.  I'm worried she won't see the email in time.  She could easily have gotten someone else last night, when she didn't reach me.  I catch myself pacing, waiting for a response so I decide to call.  I hope I still have the job!  That would be awesome!

I do have the job!  I'm so glad I have the truck!  I didn't have any question about how to get there or back.  This job starts earlier in the day.   I just went from having all day at home to having no time!  I need to figure out what to wear!

The job is at Disneyland's Grand Californian.  I'm debating taking the truck.  It makes sense to take it.  I'd borrowed it so I could work this weekend, but the job is close to the Disneyland bus stop and it's supposed to let out around 10, much earlier than the others have.   I'd only have to take the one bus down and then back.  It'd be later than my normal commute, but doable.

Eileen just called and asked if I could pick up some things at Staples.  That made up my mind!  If I was taking the bus, I would have had to say no, and I want to help in any way I can.  I'm driving the truck!  It'll be good to go home at the end of the evening without having to wait in the cold for a bus!

I emailed Mary and also left a message on her phone.  She hasn't responded to either.  I'm worried.  I don't want her to go all the up to my place and not have me there.  I'm at work now.  I'm keeping my phone close to me, hoping I'll hear it if it rings.  Normally she calls before she heads up to my place.

My phone is ringing, maybe it's Mary!  It's not, it's Prakriti.  She's upset!  She does transcription for the Yoga Center.  She says her transcriber machine died a few days ago.  She hasn't been able to find another one to buy, that will use regular cassettes, and is hoping to get the old one fixed.  Darn!  Why did this happen this week?!  It's a blessing, but why on one of my busiest weeks?!  I've been trying to get her off the transcriber machine and onto a computer transcription program for probably two years.  I even have a computer a friend of mine donated for her that's sitting in a corner of my living room.  I'd started fixing it up.  The idea seemed to scare her though, so I never finished.  Now is the perfect time!  Now, she's open to the idea because it seems to be the only good option.  I'll have to push to somehow get it done and to her, it'll be worth it!  She's anxious and wants to know the transcription program will work for her.  I haven't loaded it yet, let alone tested it.  I tell her I'll test it and call her back tomorrow with the results.  Tomorrow just got a whole lot busier!

This time it's Mary calling.  She hadn't gotten any of my messages and was on her way up, but understands and will turn around and go back home.  Now I can put the phone away for the evening and focus on work!

The woman running our side of the event this evening is vegan too!  She brought food for everyone and salads for both of us.  It looks terrific!  I can't get over how well I've been cared for at all of the Event Solutions jobs!  It's been such a blessing in so many ways!

I ask one of the hotel staff for three forks for our salads.  I expect him to lead me to a place to get them, instead he asks where I'll be.  I show him and off he goes.  A few minutes later he comes in carrying a silver tray.  The silver tray has a white cloth napkin carefully arranged on it, with four silver forks carefully arranged on top of that.  He comes over and bows, as he offers me the forks.  I feel like I'm Cinderella and have just been offered a crown!  It happened so quickly and so perfectly!  Then he was gone, off to take care of other things.  He probably didn't know how wonderfully special it was, but I think I'll hold the memory of being offered those forks for a long time.  It was absolutely perfect!

The Disney staff brought out tea and coffee for everyone.  They have it set up outside the hotel door so that guests waiting for their cars can have something to warm them.  The woman who moved the tea outside made a point of telling me that all our staff was welcome to all the beverages and that they will keep it replenished for the rest of the evening.  I'm very impressed by her and all of the staff.  Disney does a good job of making people feel special!

I'm outside getting tea when we hear the fireworks.  I look for them, but can't see them.  One of the other people said something about it.  Immediately, one of the Disney employees told us that if we went over across the drive to the grass, we could watch the fireworks there.  I love fireworks!  Right now, we're at a slow point in our work.  I go inside and ask if it's ok to watch the fireworks for a bit.  She said yes!

I get a refresher on the plum tea (which is awesome!) and head across the drive.  The Disney employee I'd talked to earlier came over and pointed out the best place for me to stand to watch the fireworks, and made sure I crossed the drive safely (even though no cars in sight.)

Standing here, having been presented earlier with the forks, drinking the wonderful plum tea and watching the fireworks over the top of the building, I'm totally happy.  What a wonderful evening it's been! 

I'm even getting paid!  How awesome is that?!

1 comment:

  1. I've surfed the net more than three hours today, and your blog was the coolest of all. Thanks a lot, it is really useful to me

    ReplyDelete