1.3.12

Changing Overnight Plans - 2/29/12

Wednesday - 2/29/12

I started out today feeling like I had all the time in the world.  I finished some paperwork for my work, packaged a few things to mail out and drove (yes drove) all of the things over to the post office, since the work paperwork was late and I still had Charles' truck.

Now, I'm running late again.  I'm not quite sure how that happened.  I need to pack my backpack for staying over-night tonight and watching my Grandchildren tomorrow.  I also need to leave early enough that I can drop Charles' truck off and catch a bus from there to Avalon.  I wanted to leave with enough time to socialize, but that isn't going to happen.

At Charles' now.  I just hand him the key, give him a hug, a thank you and remind him that I'm taking him out for a late birthday dinner on Saturday and take off.  I didn't see a bus go by as I was nearing the bus stop.  So, I might be on time.  It's close though.  I look at my directions.  Oops!  I had the bus number wrong in my mind.  I think I passed the bus I was supposed to get on as I was driving to Charles'.  Oh well.  The good thing about traveling in the day time is that you know for absolute certainty that there will be another bus sooner or later.

I check Google maps.  They give me a totally different route now.  I'll get to work 20 minutes late.  We're all rented and I'm normally on time.  So, I don't think that will be a problem.  I'm waiting for the Long Beach 91, which oddly enough is the bus I originally thought I needed (though originally I was supposed to get on the 93). The 94 stops and I wave it on.  Then, I start thinking about it.  I know very little about the Long Beach bus system, but I think the 91, 92, 93, and 94 all go the same way for part of the trip.  I wonder if the 94 would have taken me to the original transfer point.  I check the map and it would have!  Arrrggg!!  I bet I would have made the connecting bus too, and would have made it to work on time!  Oh well, this is how you learn things: trial and error.  It does definitely give me a chance to ride different buses!

It turns out that the Long Beach 91, 92, 93 and 94 all stop at the bus stop near Charles' place and all go to the same generic transfer point where you can catch buses headed for Orange County.  It's outside the VA hospital.  Nice that we take care of the veterans in that way.  Anyway, next time, I won't worry about what bus to take from Charles' when I'm going to work, I'll just get myself to the bus stop and catch the first one of those four that comes by!  Then, I can check Google Maps while in transit to find what bus I should take from the transfer point.

My backpack is really heavy today.  It's heavy with things for the sleep-over, and some rain gear and today's lunch.  I'm definitely going to have muscles at the end of this year!

The bus I take from the transfer point ends up going all the way down Westminster Boulevard.  I used to live close to there.  So, I know the area.  I almost missed the point I needed to get off!  I was so wrapped up watching all the businesses and trying to see what had changed!

I was drinking a lot of water this morning.  Great for the body, but not so great for bus rides.  I could really use a potty break!  I check my schedule and see that I have 8 minutes until the bus is supposed to come.  I walk to the nearby donut place.  They don't have a public restroom.  I decide not to chance going farther away.  I can see a Stater Brothers Grocery, but it would take me awhile to get there and get back, and since I'm already going to be late for work, I don't want to be any later.  Though, the pod belt I use to hook my purse onto is starting to be uncomfortable, pressing in the wrong places!

The bus is late.  I would have had time to go to Stater Brothers, but now I don't.  I'm rethinking that right as the bus shows up on the horizon.  I guess I'll wait!

I'm at work now.  It turns out that my Daughter had canceled tomorrow as a babysitting day and I hadn't taken it off of my calendar!  Oh well!  Change of plans!  I'm going home tonight!  I had a couple of people hold long conversations with me today at the office.  Work went by really quickly.  I didn't even eat my lunch!  I'm leaving with the exact same heavy load that I came here with!  How funny!  I'm definitely going to build muscles!




No comments:

Post a Comment