3.3.12

A Little Bit Down - 3/3/12

Saturday  3/3/12

One day a month I look at every account I owe money to and put the new balance, minimum payment and due date into an excel spreadsheet.  That keeps my mind focused on paying everyone off.  I also track the total amount owed each month.  So, I can watch it going down little by little.

It's earlier in the month than I normally do this.  A couple of the balances aren't available yet because the statements are still being processed.  It's nice to see that I have the new, lower balance with Chase.  I'm a little disheartened, though, looking at everything.  I tell myself this is a process.  I just have to keep going and keep putting energy toward being financially free.

Tonight, I'm taking Charles out for a late (his birthday was a couple weeks ago) birthday dinner.   I know he likes steak.  So, when I saw a groupon for a place that specialized in steaks, I bought it.  That way we get to try the place out at 1/2 off and I get to tell him that I appreciate him!   I don't think there will be much there that I can eat, being Vegan, but most places around here will be able to do something and I'm looking forward to going out!  I miss eating out!

I've even looked up the bus routes around Charles.  So, we could take the bus to the restaurant if we wanted.  That way he doesn't have to drive at all if he doesn't want to, and it would be truly me taking him out!

It's a beautiful sunny day.  I don't know if I'm taking a bus back home afterward, or if Charles will drive me, or if I'm borrowing the truck again (I'm teaching tomorrow night and the truck would be handy for that.)  I pack my thermal underwear, scarf and hat into the backpack, just in case I need it later for riding the bus home.

The trip to the bus stop is nice.  I've got my blinky light shoes on (I decided they were more "formal" for eating out), the day is lovely and I'm having fun riding my scooter.  An old friend told me that the thought of me propelling the scooter forward with blinky light shoes on and my hair blowing in the wind was "charming."  I didn't dress this way because of that, but now, as I'm going to the bus stop I'm thinking about that and enjoying being "charming."

There isn't anyone at the bus stop.  This could be a bad sign.  I was sure I was on time, but I could have messed up.  The bus going the opposite direction passes.  I breathe a sigh of relief.  I take that as a sign that my bus is still coming.

It's now ten minutes later and there isn't any bus.  I must have missed it.  I use my iphone to check both google maps and metro.net.  Both say they can't get me to Charles' until a little after 7pm (our restaurant reservations are for 7).  I call Charles and ask him what he wants to do.  I can probably call the restaurant and change the reservation.

When I tell him I missed my bus, he thinks I'm stranded somewhere and is prepared to immediately take off to come get me.  I have to start over and tell him I missed the first bus and can easily go back home or to a different bus stop to wait for a later bus.  He tells me he's going to come get me.  That's cool.  I'm disappointed though.  Here I thought I had my act together and I missed the bus and he's having to come get me.. all so I can take him out to dinner...  not my plan at all!  The scooter trip home is a little slower and less cheery than the one out had been.  It will all still be good though.  I know that.

Charles picked me up and we drove straight to the restaurant and then of course had to find parking.  My brain is reminding me that if we had taken the bus out we wouldn't have this issue.  We ended up using a parking garage.  The restaurant "The Gaucho Grill" (in Long Beach) seems nice.  I don't think the waiter had ever heard the word Vegan before though, and from the responses back from the Chef, I don't think he had either.  I order a plain salad with oil and vinegar and a sauteed mushroom appetizer that sounds interesting.  Charles got the filet minion.

They've been having some issues at Charles' place.  That was the conversation for the evening.  I'm glad I was there for him to vent to, and, heck, it was his birthday celebration so he could do whatever he wanted.  Not the most fun time though.

The salad is just a large heap of shredded lettuce with some pepper strips in it.  I'm halfway through my meal when I realize the appetizer never came.  I gave up and decided not to try for it.  Charles said his steak was a little dry.  I think we won't be going back there.

It's the end of the night.  I hug Charles goodbye, and climb back into his truck.  I am borrowing it once more.



No comments:

Post a Comment