12.3.12

Went The Wrong Direction! - 3/12/12

Monday - 3/12/12

I slept over at Mary's last night.  It's great!  Right now, she's living in Costa Mesa.  This morning, I get to sleep in, have a shorter bus ride and still teach Yoga!   How great is that?!

She was worried I might not sleep, because it's just my sleeping bag on the indoor / outdoor carpet.  I knew I'd do fine, and I did!

I printed out the directions for getting to the Yoga Center from here yesterday, but when I got to Mary's I couldn't find them.  She doesn't have a printer here.  Last night I used her computer to look up the route and times and scribbled them onto a sheet of paper, which I'm now clutching in my hand.

Leaving the house, I'm feeling good.  I have some flex in the schedule too!  If I miss the bus I want to take, the next one will still get me there in time.

It's dark.  I'm on my scooter, looking for the street I'm supposed to turn on.  I haven't seen it.  I did see a 4 inch change in sidewalk levels.  Thank goodness I saw that before I hit it!  The scooter hitting that definitely would have caused me to fall!  None of the streets are the one I'm looking for.  I stop a couple of times to try and get Google maps on my phone to give me directions.  It's still messing up.  The one version gives me a blank screen.  The other version won't recognize where I am and isn't finding any of the street names I put in.  The choice is to keep going forward, hoping I just haven't come to the right street yet, or to go back, thinking I missed it.  Either way, this is getting me to the bus stop later.  I'm pretty sure I'm not going to catch the bus the first bus.  I decide to keep going forward.

Well, the street I'm on just ended.  I have to have missed the cross street.  I'm heading back, worried about the time.   I'm starting at every street sign for every street I cross along the way.

This has to be it.  One small, unlabeled street that I took to be an apartment complex entrance.  I'm almost all the way back to where I started.  This is the only possibility.  I'm turning down it, crossing my fingers.

I'm relieved when the street makes the turns Google had said were coming.  It must be the right street.  I still haven't seen a street sign.

Now I'm at the street where the bus stop is.  There's the bus stop, on the other side of the street!  I'm just trying to figure out when the next bus is coming, when one shows up on the horizon.  Everything is good!

On the bus, now.  We pass the 405.  That seems strange to me.  I thought we were already on the Yoga Center side of it, but I could have been mistaken.  Mary does live very close to where the 405 is.  Oops! The speaker system just announced South Coast Plaza.  I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be passing that!  That has to be in the wrong direction!  I ask the bus driver about it.  It takes a little while for him to understand where I want to go.  He says I'm definitely going the wrong direction!  He stops at the next stop and points me across the street and down a ways to the bus stop I'll have to wait at for the bus going the right direction.

Now, I'm worried!  There was some flex in my schedule, but is there enough flex for this?  I don't know.  I get to the bus stop and wait.  There isn't anything else to do.  The 47 bus comes and goes, but that isn't the bus I'm waiting for.  I need the 55.  I'm trying to get Google Maps to work and still having problems.   I finally got Google Maps to work!  It says that I will get there just in time!  Yay!

I'm on the 55 bus now.  Google maps has changed it's though though.  It's saying I'm going to arrive late.  I keep trying to jump it ahead to other bus stops to see if there is a better way of getting there, but it isn't working.  I'm not sure what to do.  It could just be that this bus was running late so Google maps doesn't recognize it and that I will get there on time.  I'm hoping for that.  I'm very tense, though, as I'm riding the bus.  I'm set to call one of the students if it truly looks like I can't get there in time.

Big sigh of relief!  The bus just dropped me off at the exit next to the Yoga Center!  I am on time!  Just barely, but for right now, that's great!


No comments:

Post a Comment