20.2.12

Picking Up The Truck, Again - 2/19/2012

Sunday - 2/19/2012

I teach the talk part of class tonight.  I'm a little nervous about that.  I'm always a little nervous about that, even though I know I do a good job.  It's a five week series.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about rides for the five weeks.  Getting there is easy.  Getting home isn't so easy.  I'm sure though that things will work out.  God watches out for me.

I can get home by bus after class, but according to Google Maps, I'd get home around 12:15am if I rode the bus all the way (without getting a ride for part of it) and that's pretty late, especially when I have to get up at 3 in the morning.

I didn't want to borrow the truck today.  I wanted to figure something else out.  I talked to Charles about it a few days ago and he said to just come borrow the truck.  In the end, I decided that was the right option.  I figured since I'll already be nervous about teaching the class, and with it being the first class in the series, that I ought to give myself a break, and borrow the truck so I know I have an easy way home.

They live in Long Beach.  I haven't ridden the bus to Long Beach yet.  Once again, it involves a different bus system.  I do wish they'd combine all of the systems into one, or at least make the difference semi-transparent to the people riding.

Google Maps has come through again!  It's given me a route to get there.  I'll be there by 11:30am, which will give me plenty of time this afternoon to go over my talk again.

I run the same addresses on the LA Metro system route finder because I'd like to know how much I'm going to spend to get there.  (You must have change ready.  Buses don't give change!)  The LA Metro page didn't give me the same route at all!  Now, I don't know what to do.  I'm a little worried that one or the other routes won't be running, since neither system pulls up the route the other says to take.

I decide to trust Google Maps.  They haven't steered me wrong yet, and their way is 1/2 hour shorter, which does matter today.  The first bus I take on the trip is the 62 and it accepts my monthly OCTA pass, which is cool!  It turns out that it even goes by a Union Bank (which I need occasionally for my one job) and a Mall.  I'm mentally filing away all of that information, just in case I ever need it.

Once again, thank goodness for Google Maps!  They let you print these little maps of the different parts of the routes.  I printed all of the segments that said "walk."  That way, I can get a good idea of where the bus stop is.  Some corners have anywhere from 2 to 4 bus stops (depending on bus and direction) and if you are at the wrong stop when the right bus comes, then you've missed it!  Even with the little print out, it took me a bit to figure out where my bus stop was.

Now I'm on the next bus.  It's a Long Beach bus.  It's nice and clean.  It looks new.  I'm impressed.  I'm enjoying watching the city go by as we drive along.  It's a beautiful day!

The next bus, this last bus is not so nice.  I don't actually know if the bus is nice or not.  It's packed and standing room only.  I'm standing here, sandwiched in, holding on to my razor scooter and my backpack.  I feel like I'm in everyone's way.  I know I've accidentally hit a few people with both the backpack and the scooter.  There seems to be a seat available way back in the back.  I don't want to try and go to it.  The bus is too crowded and I'll be getting off soon.  I don't want to fight my way back just to turn around and fight to get out when it's time.  Several people want to try for the seat.  They can't understand why I can't get out of their way, even though there's no where else for me to stand.  I'm not sure at all how I'm going to know it's my stop.  The bus announcement of the stops isn't announcing all of them.  I know my bus stop is soon.  Maybe I'll just count a few and then get off?

They did announce my stop!  I'm off and so glad to be off that bus!  Nice to have sun and air and space again!  Now, the easy part, riding my scooter from here to Charles'.  Both Charles and Lois are home.  I stay and visit for awhile.  Charles looks at and fixes the handlebars on my scooter.  They won't be sliding down any more!  Yay!

Now, I'm heading home with the truck, ready to go over this evening's talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment