11.2.12

How Do You Decide? - 2/9/12

Thursday 2/9/12

In the past year, I've made Thursdays a non-driving day, unless I'm going to spend time watching my Grandkids, or something else awesome is happening.  This means that doing "the bus" on Thursdays should be easy.  Not so.

I haven't told either of my bosses that I'm doing this (the year without my car.)  I know I can do it and still do a good job for both companies, but I don't want them to question that.  Yesterday, my Avalon boss emailed and asked me to make a deposit on the way home.  I couldn't do that.  I miss the first bus on the trip going home if I leave even a tinsy bit late and that bank isn't anywhere near the route I take to the bus.  I emailed him back that I took the bus to work and so couldn't make a deposit that night, but would make the deposit the next day (which gets counted the same as far as the bank goes.)

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to do that.  It's easy to make the Avalon deposits on Monday and Friday mornings.  There's a bank close to the Yoga Center.  Heck the bus even stops close to the bank so I only have to use my razor scooter one way.  Making them from here, my home, is a different story.

Charles' truck is still sitting here.  I could easily hop in the truck, drive to the bank, make the deposit and be done with it, which would give me the rest of the day for me.  I don't want to do that.  This is about me going forward and doing something different.  If I'm always relying on someone's car, then maybe I'm not truly doing something different.  On the other hand, as I figured out Tuesday, it might be cheaper to put gas into Charles' truck than to pay the bus fees to get to the bank and back, and it's about finances too.

I thought there was a Union bank close to my bank over on Pioneer, but I tried looking it up and there isn't.  The closest Union bank is 2 1/2 miles away.  I'm not going to do the scooter for that!  That means I'd have to either take a bus or take the truck and my bus pass doesn't work for these buses.  So, it's an expense either way.  I either pay the bus fees there and back, or put gas in the truck.  I guess I'm giving up for now and taking the truck out to do errands.  I'm sitting here figuring out anything and everything I can do while I'm out.

I stop at a couple grocery stores.  I'm still trying to find a local grocery that will work for me.  Around where I live there are large Asian, Indian and Hispanic communities.  Apparently none of those communities are interested in organic food.  I haven't been able to find a grocery that carries organics.  Neither of these did.

I spend time at the 99 cent store (it's near the bank.)  They have some organic salsa this time.  I find it incredibly weird that I can get some organics from the 99 cent store, but not from the local grocery.  This store often has one or two items that are organic (and 99 cents too!)  I've found a couple little things for my Grandkids for Valentines' day.  I refuse to give them candy.  So, a stuffed valentine dog and lion (dog and lion are white with little red hearts all over them) and a couple little toys will do.  I found this LARGE card for Tracye.  I'm going to babysit the kids on Valentines' day.  It will be a good project for them, decorating the card for her.  I'm hoping it will brighten her day when she gets home from work too.  The question now is: how the heck am I going to get the card undamaged through all the bus rides on Monday!  That should be interesting!  It's too big to fit in my backpack.

My brain has been having a debate for awhile.  I know the razor scooter works for me and is a great option for getting to and from the bus.  I've been wondering a bit about learning to skateboard, but I don't think I'm ready to make that a travel option, yet.  The razor scooter I have is wonderful.  I couldn't have tried to do this year without it.  However, it was used when I got it, and has a couple small issues.  So, I keep wondering if it's time to buy one.  That way, also, if anything happened to one of the wheels (which I'm slightly paranoid about), I would have a back-up scooter while I figured out how to get a wheel replaced.  I've done the research.  There is a scooter that would be "better" for me.  The razor A3 has bigger wheels, can possibly travel a little bit faster and supposedly gives a much smoother ride.  I'm all about the smoother ride.  When there are large cracks between the sidewalk pieces, the ride is definitely not smooth!  I've found the A3 in an on-line only sale from Wal-mart for $40.

I'm trying to decide if this is my brain justifying spending money, or something that would really help.  I've been having that debate about the scooter and a set of ear-buds (the headset I use hurts my ears when I use it for a prolonged time with my cap on) for awhile now.

I just found a razor AW125 on the Wal-Mart on-line site.  They say it's an "improved" version of the A3.  I can't find anything about it on the internet, which makes me skeptical.  However, I did find reference that Wal-Mart had it's own version of the original razor scooter and I'm realizing that's what this is, Wal-Mart's version of the A3.  The original scooter and Wal-Mart's version only had one difference (aside from color and decoration). The Wal-Mart version had a wheelie-bar and the original version didn't.  So, the AW125 should be very similar to the A3.  It only comes in bright red, but I'm ok with that.  Red is a power color anyway!

I'm going for it!  The AW125 sells for $10 less (so $30) and that's enough to kick me into action.  Wal-Mart offers free delivery to the store.  I just have to figure out which store I want it delivered to!  During the ordering process the screen said it was "in stock" at the store, which is cool.  I'm ok with waiting a week for it, but sooner is better!  An hour later, I've gotten a text from the store saying they've canceled my order because they don't have it in stock!  How funny!  All I wanted was for it to be delivered to the store!  I guess I'll have to try calling them.  It's too late in the day to do now.  So, for now I'm back to debating buying a scooter and earbuds.






No comments:

Post a Comment