23.7.12

Monday - 7/23/12 - A Nightmare Before Christmas

Monday - 7/23/12

The movie at the Segerstrom center tonight is Nightmare Before Christmas.  I love that movie and haven't seen it on a big screen.  I'm looking forward to going!

Work's over.  I'm taking the 71 bus to the 57, then I'll be there!

Last week, when I got off the 71 and saw a bus pull up to the next bus stop, I panicked.  This week I know better.  I know that's not the bus I want, it's just the 71 going the other way.  The driver gets out of that bus and runs into the nearby MacDonalds.  He did that last week too.  This must be the place he takes a bathroom break.

We're waiting here outside the parked 71 bus for the 57 to come.  The 71 driver comes back, gets in and takes off right before the 57 pulls up.  He must have it timed.  He didn't get much time for his break!  Just barely enough time to go to the bathroom!   I've got my backpack on, with the sleeping bag strapped to it.  The bus is pretty full.  There's a spot I could squeeze into, but it's easier to stand.  I don't have very far to go anyway.  As the driver's getting ready to pull out, a guy races onto the bus with a drink in his hand, looks at the bus driver and says "the other driver left?"  I realize he's talking about the 71 and tell him the other bus left, that this is a different bus.  As he gets off the bus, his girlfriend comes up to him and says something about the other bus leaving with his stuff on it.  He must have gotten off when the driver did, thinking he had enough time to get something to drink and then missed the bus!

I'm wondering if there's a better way to get from the bus stop to the center.  Last time I walked to the street corner and followed the street in.  It seems like there would be a better way.  I know there's a lovely, grassy area right above here.  I'm just not sure how to get to it.  That must be it!  This must be a narrow sidewalk coming down the hill.  Last week I looked at it and thought it was a drainage ditch or something.  Yep!  Here's the grassy area.  Nice!

There's already a lot of people here at the center.  I'm having to put my sleeping bag farther to the side than I like.  As I'm spreading the bag out, the lady near me says they've decided to move farther back and tell me I can have their spot.  Yay!  I get to be right where I prefer!  They've got craft tables set up.  Anyone who wants can make Nightmare Before Christmas Puppets.  There are children doing it, but several adults are too.  I'm definitely going to make one!

I made both a Jack and a Sally puppet (they had zero too.)  Here are the ones I did.


I'm tired.  It's going to be hard to stay awake during the movie.  I'm glad I'm here though.  I brought an avocado sandwich for dinner.  It got all smooshed and broken up riding in my backpack.  Fortunately, all the pieces taste just as good!

The movie's over.  I enjoyed it!  This was a shorter movie so I know I'll make it home.  I stop in the bathroom before heading out to the bus.  Someone left their iphone on the ledge in the stall.  I take it out with me.  I'm carrying it, making sure it's visible as I walk.  I'm hoping the owner comes back for it.  A woman comes from the other side and says it's hers and that she left it in the bathroom stall.  She thanks me and we both go on our way.

Because I'm catching the 57 at an earlier time than last week, Google Maps is having me catch different connecting buses.  I'm glad they route me the best way.  This is the scary part though.  It's dark, I'm tired and at each stop I have to find the right stop for the next bus before it comes.  That's not nearly as easy as it sounds.  The next bus is the 54.  I'm paying close attention to the stops so I don't miss it.  Here's the stop I'm supposed to get off at, near the Block.  Google maps says the bus stop for the 54 is back and then down the cross street.  I ask the bus driver.  He seems like he isn't sure, then says I'd do better getting off at the next stop, if the 54 is even still running this late at night.  I assure him it's still running and stay on till the next stop.  He tells me the stop for the 54 is down the cross street, a block away from here.  I thank him and start off back to the cross street.  I hope he's right.  I'd hate to miss the bus!  This street seems deserted.  He said it's the second bus stop.  Here's the first one.  There's the second one!  There's someone waiting at it.  So, the bus hasn't come yet.  Yay!

The next bus is the 43.  I'll be catching that at Harbor and Chapman.  I've been there enough times I definitely know where that stop is!

I'm here, at the Harbor and Chapman stop.  It's 10 minutes before the bus is supposed to come.  There's one other person at the stop, a man in his late 20s sitting on the bench.  There's a lot of trash around on the ground.  I decide I might as well use my time productively, dig out one of the throw-away gloves and start picking up trash.  Maybe I'll help someone else's day by giving them a nicer place to wait.  I think the other person waiting for the bus thinks I'm crazy.  He's moved way down the street to another set of benches.

It seems like I've been picking up trash for a long time.  I check the time.  The bus is late.  I check what time the 460 was supposed to leave Disneyland.  I had an 11 minute window to make the bus.  Now, I'm worried.

Finally!  The bus is coming!  I throw away the glove, grab my bag and wait.

It's taking forever to get to Disneyland.  I don't think we're going to make it.  I don't even think I can make it by using my shortcut to Disney Way.  I ask the bus driver if he could let me off at Disney Way, because of the bus being late and the fact that I'll miss the 460 otherwise.  He tells me that he can only let me off if it's safe to do that (so it's variable on if he can or not.)  One of the passengers asks if I'm new to riding the bus.  I tell them I've only been riding the bus since January and don't normally ride this late, but would still like to go home.  The driver says the 43 is always late.  He drives this time and that means the 43 is going to always be late until October (I didn't ask what happens in October - schedule change?  Driver change?)  He says the schedule doesn't have the right amount of time in it.  He only has 5 minutes at one end and 9 at the other end for a break and the bus is always running at least that late at either side.  So, if he even goes to the bathroom the bus starts out late and continues late.  I tell him I'm really sorry about that and I wish they'd make a schedule that was better for him.  However, I'd still like to get home and if I miss the 460, that means a long time before the next one comes.  He says he hasn't given up on getting me to the bus and that if he can at all he'll get me to it.

We're almost to Disney Way.  The traffic is stopped and we're next to a curb so the driver asks me if I want to get off here.  He points to a bus that's turning the corner onto Disney way and says he thinks that's the 460.  I tell him that can't be it because the LA buses are orange, go out the door, open up the scooter and take off for the stop.  I see the 460 coming up to the stoplight as I'm turning the street onto Disney Way.  I'll probably make it.  I hope he stops.  Sometimes they don't realize I'm heading for the bus since I'm on a scooter.  Thank goodness!  There are people at the stop already.  The bus will stop!  I've made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment